Saturday, October 17, 2009

We are Lucky

I have some 11 month photos of Ellie to share, and I will try to edit and upload them during nap this afternoon.

All I can think about at this moment is how completely lucky we are. Our little family is healthy and happy. We have two beautiful children who were born without complication. They grow and amaze us every day.

Others are not so lucky. The small F16 community has had more than its fair share of loss lately. While I don't any of these families personally, I feel like I do. The community is small - each is a friend of a friend. And because of the unique challenges of Kevin's line of work I feel an immediate bond for others in the same position.

Please send love, good thoughts and prayers:
(You can click on the name to read the family's blog or the relevant news article.)

The Sullivan Family: On September 22, 16 days after delivering a healthy baby girl, Sara Sullivan lost her battle with cancer. Brady and baby Chloe are adjusting to life without his wife and her mom. Here's a news story, too: Breast Cancer Claims Young Mom (Thanks for that link, Lesli.)

The Giglio Family: Captain Nicholas Giglio of Shaw Air Force base was involved in a mid-air collision on Thursday. Thankfully, the other pilot involved was able to land safely. Capt Giglio is still missing.

The Friedman Family: Katie died yesterday shortly after delivering a healthy baby boy. Her husband flies F-16s at Aviano (Italy), he went to the Academy with Kevin and now has two young boys to care for alone.

Now that I've thoroughly depressed us all, I'm going to hug my kids.

2 comments:

The Felsen Family said...

Thanks for sharing, Kate. These families are in my prayers.

Kacee said...

I know, Kate!! I've been feeling the same way. The Giglios just left the B-course here, and he was one of Bryan's students. We've been following the Sullivan's tragedy for several weeks now, and now to hear about the Friedman's...it's just too much! It sure puts things into perspective, doesn't it. We really are lucky. We're sure thinking of the families of those who've gone on.