Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Sweetest Sound

I realize this may qualify me as a nut job, but I recently decided to shell out a few bucks and rent a fetal doppler machine so that we could hear Baby's heartbeat at home. I was hesistant because I didn't want to freak myself out if we ever had trouble finding the heartbeat, but decided the joy of it working outweighed the risks. I feel the baby kicking and moving, but not consistently yet so hearing the heartbeat is a great reassurance to us. We plan to keep it for a month and then return it and by that time we should both be able to feel Baby moving pretty regularly.

When the machine arrived and we tried it for the first time I was able to find the heartbeat almost immediately. We tried to time it and think it was beating at about 160 beats per minute. Last night we could also hear the baby moving even though I couldn't feel it! (The movement makes a sound distinct from the heartbeat, kind of like a "whoosh.") That was pretty cool.

The machine has a record function so we were able to upload and save a recording of the heart beating to the computer but we can't figure out how to add it to the blog. We decided the next best thing was to record us listening to the heartbeat. The video's not much to look at, but it sounds awesome. That's our little Baby!


3 comments:

Amy Higley said...

That's awesome. I won't even make rude Tom Cruise jokes about the at home machine.

"That's our little baby!" kinda made me cry a little.

XOXOXO

Papa Lou said...

The video of Jack and Kevin in the swimming pool brings back many excellent memories...enjoy those special moments with your baby boy. Does the "missiles of October remind you of anything?

The heartbeat video is very special..thank you for sharing.

Love you...Memere and papa Lou

Karina Sammons said...

this is just amazing! I would love to hear my little baby #2 regularly like that. Pretty darn awesome. Such a wonderful, reassuring sound...that strong heartbeat. Love it!